To avoid sickle cell babies, know your genotype before you say yes to that handsome guy or that beautiful lady who you wish to spend the rest of your life with Sickle cell anemia (SCD) is an inherited disorder of the hemoglobin in the blood.
Sickle cell anemia requires the inheritance of two sickle cell genes. Sickle cell trait, which is the inheritance of one sickle gene, almost never causes problems. The current treatment of sickle cell anemia is directed primarily toward managing the individual features of the illness as they occur. How is sickle cell anemia inherited?
What is Sickle Cell?
Sickle cell anemia is inherited as an autosomal (meaning that the gene is not linked to a sex chromosome) recessive condition. This means that the gene can be passed on from a parent carrying it to male and female children Genotype and its appropriate suitor: AA + AA = excellent AA + AS = Good AA + SS = Fair AS + AS = BAD AS + SS = Very bad SS + SS = Extremely Bad. Sickle cell disease (SCD) and thalassemia are inherited blood disorders. If you are a carrier of sickle cell or thalassemia, you can pass these conditions on to your baby. When both parents are carriers
When both parents are carriers, each time they are expecting a child there is: A one in four (25%) chance of the child not being affected – the baby will not have or carry the disease A one in four (25%) chance of inheriting both unusual hemoglobin genes and having the disease A two in four (50%) chance of inheriting one unusual hemoglobin gene and being a carrier. You can now see that it is necessary to get tested to find out your genotype before saying yes to that marriage.
At Afriglobal Medicare, we offer comprehensive pre-marital test screening services tailored to your specific needs. Our team of experienced professionals will guide you through the process, ensuring confidentiality and personalized care.
Click The Button Below to Take Our Pre-Marital Test Now